Contemporary Design & Expansive Views
Aug 09, 2023
We first met our clients at their beautiful rural site in late April 2022 and on Friday we handed over their contemporary new home.
Coming to us with a strong vision of what they wanted to achieve and a brief to capture the far-reaching views, we were here to listen and guide them through the design/build process in a short period of time.
The colours and finishes that have been selected in this home create a huge impact. While the living area is a modest 148.2m2 this home packs a big design punch. Some of the key design elements included;
- Grained Axon 133mm cladding. This cladding was selected for the exterior of the home, with results reminiscent of charred timber cladding (Shou Sugi Ban). It was both an effective and economical choice.
- Polished concrete floors and concrete kitchen benchtops, which were poured onsite, add to the industrial aesthetic our clients were aiming for.
- The windows and doors presented an opportunity to frame the view and draw the viewer out through the large glazed elements into the surrounding countryside. The glazing created an added sense of space and a purposeful contrast between the contemporary industrial interior and natural landscape.
- The hallway gallery is lined with a bamboo wall treatment that leads from the entry and bedrooms through to the kitchen and living rooms. Consideration was given to the ideal placement of niches and windows to allow for displays of pottery and wall art.
- A large emphasis was given to lighting design. The LED strip lighting in particular adds impact in the hallway gallery.
Unique in every way this home successfully draws you in to explore the spaces and draws you out to appreciate the view.